This post is written in response to queries from my local cycling group as to how to get a Strava Club Event into a Course on a Garmin device, so people can follow the course on the day.
At the end of this post I also show how you can save the Route into your own 'My Routes', so you can ride it again and again!
Method One (copy and paste):
If you have received a Strava Club Event that has a route included, the top of the Club Event web page will look something like this:
If you scroll down a little bit you will get to the actual route, which looks like this:
To get the route onto your Garmin device:
- Click on Export TCX (for devices without viewable maps, e.g. Edge 200) or Export GPX (for newer devices with viewable maps, e.g. Edge 1000)
- Save the GPX or TCX somewhere on your PC / laptop, e.g. Desktop or Downloads
- Connect your Garmin device to your PC / laptop with a USB cable
- Using your file explorer (e.g. Windows Explorer) navigate to your Garmin device's 'Garmin/NewFiles' folder, which in Windows Explorer will look something like this:
- Copy your downloaded TCX or GPX file into the NewFiles folder (make sure it goes into 'Garmin/NewFiles', and not into just 'Garmin'). It will look something like this:
6. Unplug your Garmin device from your PC / laptop. The Garmin should then restart and the route should appear in your Courses list.
Method Two (use the 'Strava Routes' Connect IQ app ):
If you have a newer device that supports Garmin Connect IQ apps (e.g. Edge 520, Edge 1000), a much simpler method is to use the (free) 'Strava Routes' app. Instructions on how to install and use this app are here
Saving a Club Event route into your own 'My Routes':
Remember above where you can see the Route Details. The link to the Route (in this case PP: Stondon Shillington Pirton) is actually clickable, so if you click on:
you will get to here:
Notice the little grey star on the left of the route name (I've circled it in red)? If you click on the grey star it will turn red (Strava calls this 'starring'):
Starred routes will be saved in your own 'My Routes' folder, which you can get to by clicking on Dashboard > My Routes.
It will look something like this (notice the red star in the top right):
N.B. It's not just Club Event routes that you save in your own 'My Routes'. Any route that has been shared with you can be saved in the same manner, and you will be able to use Method One or Two above to add them as a Course onto your Garmin device.
Anyway, hope this has been useful. Any comments please let me know.
First posted: 22 October 2017
Last updated: 22 October 2017